Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op Amp Question. Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean i can use all Dual Supply op-amps with single supply also,as long as i do not exceed maximum range
Short answer: Yes.

Say, i have AD 8672 op-amp.It was given in it's datasheet that it needs Dual Supply Operation:±5 V to ±15 V.So can i use AD 8672 with supply rails V+ at 10 V & V- at 0 V.
Yes.

You can also use any "single supply" opamp with a dual supply.

@godfreyl:Thankyou ,so for LM741A op-amp the absolute maximum ratings of supply voltage is given in data-sheet as ±22V.So i can apply +22V at V+ pin & -22V at V- pin.
If i use it in single supply can i apply +44 at V+ pin& GND at -pin or is the maximum +22V at +pin & GND at -pin.

Last edited:

Yes. you can put +44V on the V+ pin and GND on the V- pin.
You can also put GND on the V+ pin and -44V on the V- pin.

The opamp only cares about the voltage between it's pins. You can put +240V on the V+ pin and +200V on the V- pin if you want to. Lots of circuits (e.g. portable radios) don't have ground connected anywhere.

Yes. you can put +44V on the V+ pin and GND on the V- pin.
@godfreyl: Then why isn't this simple adder circuit not working.I just wanted to see if it works,i am tried using 44 V on V+ pin & 12 V on V- pin.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 67

Then why isn't this simple adder circuit not working.I just wanted to see if it works,i am tried using 44 V on V+ pin & 12 V on V- pin.
Because the 741 common mode range is exceeded, see e.g. posts #16, #18 and #20.

Keeping the maximum ratings is necessary to avoid damage of the chip. But you must also take care of the other electrical characteristics, e.g. input/common mode voltage range to make it work as an amplifier. In this case, both OP inputs must have a voltage 3V above V- (typically 2V). But you are connecting In+ to a voltage 12V below V-, violating common mode range and maximum ratings.

P.S.: You should also check if the expected output voltage of the adder can be ever achieved. In the present circuit it's -30V. Besides missing supply voltage headroom, the ouput won't drive 30 mA.

- - - Updated - - -

The circuit is working correctly, OP in- and outputs have all the same voltage of +20V against ground.

The last update was referring to a post that has been deleted in the meantime. I guess, you have found the fault yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: rahdirs

rahdirs

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.