Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

op amp offset and scaler question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have an input signal(0.5v to 1.5v) from a sensor and I want offset this to 0v- 10v using an opamp.

Vin min = 0.5v ; Vin max = 1.5v : Vout min = 0v : Vout max = 10v

Pls how will I do this? I got an equation on the web which states that my gain equals :

G = (Vout max - Vout min)/(Vin max - Vin min)
and my offset voltage will be :
Voffset = Vin max *|G|/(1 + |G|) and

Vout = G(Voffset - Vin) + Voffset

But my problem is that I dont no how the equation for Voffset was derived and its source. Also when I tried to use the above equations I got the following:

@ Vin = 0.5v Vout = 10v
@ Vin = 1.5 ; Vout = 0v

Pls this is reverse of what I want. I would like to have an Opamp cct that can really do the correct job.

You simply need a gain(Vin)=+10 (Vin @ the non-inverting input) and an offset=0.5V (@ the inverting input), s. the foll. figure:

You can use an asymmetric power supply, but you need a negative power supply of a few volts to get the output down to 0V . And you need a stable Voff supply of 0.5V, perhaps via a poti, if your pos. pwr supply is stable enough. Its output impedance should be « R1 .
The generator (output) impedance of your input signal must be « (R3 + R4) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back