Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op-amp Negative output

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikash23

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

I am using LT6221 op-amp. Can I please know will I be able to generate a negative output in an op-amp with out powering the op-amp with negative power supply. i.e +V is connected to 3.3V and -V is connected to ground.

No, You can not generate output voltage beyond supply rails. This applies to any opamp.

As per the theory we cannot get output voltage outside the range of Vcc - Vee. I don't know about the practical case.
And any way if this could be done then what was the need of amplifiers/clampers etc..
The supply to any passive circuit will define the range of output.

The only circuit that can be used to get an output beyond VCC-VEE range of the supplied circuit is a circuit called "charge pump" . It is basically a switched capacitor circuit that can be used to generate a voltage greater than the available power supply. It is a quiet complicated circuit and you have to be very careful not to cause any damage to any of the components you use due to over-voltage conditions. I don't recommend you use it unless you really need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.