Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OP amp help - amplify low voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruct0se

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
OP amp help

I am using a 741 op amp to try and amplify a low dc voltage.

+ = 5vdc
- = 0v
+ non inverting input = 0 to 0.8vdc
- inverting input = 100k to 0v / 20k to Output

No matter what I try I get around 4.2 to 4.6 on the output even if I use 0 feedback.

I would like to amplify a range 0 to 0.8v to a 0 to 5v range, please help.

your output should be 20% larger than your input. Double check your connections

well my computer won't load a damn pdf now. I think you may be below the common mode voltage range of the 741

Ah, the minimum supply is 10v... Would this explain why I was getting a constant 5v out though?

That is probably part of the problem. Looks like it is spec'd for +/-15V although it might run on 0V/10V. I doubt 5V would work.

Also the input will not amplify signals that close to ground. Looking at the schematic I think you would need at least 3V common mode input voltage.

Any ideas on how I could amplify 0-0.8 to 0-5?

You need an opamp that is "ground sensing" and single supply. I'm looking at something like MAX4122. It operates at 5V

Thanks for the great responses, I am going to try that out.

An LM358 is a dual opamp with a minimum power supply voltage of 3V and inputs that work at 0V up to 3.5V when the supply is 5V. With a 5V supply its max unloaded output is 3.8V.

Status
Not open for further replies.