Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op amp for power supply remote sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Anybody know a part number for a single supply, unity gain, instrumentation amplifier.? We need it for SMPS remote sensing application, to mitigate the drop in the supply traces.

- - - Updated - - -

An Instrumentation Op Amp version of the INA132 would be good..but we cant find one

INA132
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sbos059/sbos059.pdf

I've always liked the AD621 for its simplicity and decent Vio
specs, but I've only played with it in automotive data acq
type uses. Needs a negative rail, which may not be real
friendly to a single output SMPS.

Now, I believe I've seen some recent marketing literature
for (I think) some Linear Tech controllers which make an
attempt to "take out" the I*R offset; I did not really
understand the method / implementation but maybe there
are tricks of that nature that could be applied to PCB and
piece-part assemblies?

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
wow thanks d123, INA826 is so good that i am surprised that arent calling it the remote sensing buffer........as you know, the purpose is to bring the output voltage to the controller.

Hi,
I'm really glad it might be of use to you, that's genuinely good to know. There's also - for example - the INA188, just checked again: pretty similar, less bandwidth, lower input offset drift and bias current, but from memory on comparing datasheets the 826 read as slightly better in my inexpert opinion, and $0.75/k cheaper too.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,
Here is the remote sense circuit and another related question....

We are doing a 48Vin to 1V5 out SMPS. I(out) = 95A.
We need to remote sense the voltage feedback, due to the volt drop in the PCB traces. Obviously the attached instrumentation amp method is better than the simple op amp buffer method (also attached here) , but do you know of any better chips for this?

Attachments

• Remote sense SMPS with instrumentation op amp.pdf
    102.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Remote sense SMPS with op amp buffer.pdf
    101.6 KB · Views: 115

Status
Not open for further replies.