Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Op-amp current sink speed problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagyan

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I have a little problem and I hope somebody can give me advice how to step forward.
I am building a constant current driver for laser diode, and I have to solve how to switch on and off the laser diode at a rate of 40 kHz (square wave). Schematic is attached and 2 pictures also that show my problem. In pic-2, you can see that I have an accepable square wave at 10 kHz. Because of the initial instability of the op-amp, there is a little overshoot. Pic-1 shows the same at 40 kHz, unfortunately it is not an accepable square wave.
Can you suggest solution how to make the laser diode current a better square wave? I tested with a simple LED with the same result, so not the laser diode is the issue. I also tested with different C2 capacitor values from 18pF to 100nF, with small capacitor there is a huge overshoot and oscillation, with a 100nF capacitor the rise time is very high.
How can I generate a better sqware wave?
Op-amp is LTC2051.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pic-1.jpg
    pic-1.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 141
  • pic-2.jpg
    pic-2.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 153
  • schematic.JPG
    schematic.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 151

How did you design the circuit? The large base resistor is creating a pole with transistor input capacitance and slowing down the feedback loop. A slow power transistor with 3 MHz Ft is probably not the best coice for a few 100 mW driver power, its beta cut-off frequency is in the 10 kHz range.

I'd suggest to use a circuit simulator, e.g. LTspice to optimize the driver.

Thanks, the problem was the 10k base resistor. I replaced with a 1k resistor and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.