Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op amp Common Mode Feedback Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Ahmed

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a 2 stage fully differential amplifier, however I don't fully understand the CMFB circuits and how should I design it.

Also, the relation between the gain of the CMFB circuit versus the gain of the op-amp.
Same for the gain bandwidth product, should the CMFB gain & GBW > op amp gain & GBW? or the opposite?

... the relation between the gain of the CMFB circuit versus the gain of the op-amp.
Same for the gain bandwidth product, should the CMFB gain & GBW > op amp gain & GBW? or the opposite?

1. Gain: The CMFB's DC gain has no direct relation to the opAmp's DC gain. It should be just large enough to compensate for the common mode output offset (which is created by the DC amplified input offset, as well as circuit generated offset by the opAmp itself).

If an uncompensated output offset of, e.g., 1V would exist, it would probably be sufficient to reduce it to 10mV. This requires a CMFB DC gain (actually: of the CMFB offset compensation loop) of 1V/10mV = 40dB .

2. GBW: In order not to loose bandwidth of the main opAmp due to failing offset compensation in due time, the CMFB's GBW should be at least as high as the main opAmp's GBW.

This goal should easily be attainable, because the CMFB's DC gain usually is (much) less than the main opAmp's gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back