Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] op amp circuit grounding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

obrien135

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS006739.PDF

The above link is to a pdf file of a data sheet for a LM675 op amp. The typical applications circuit diagram near the top of it shows a 1 ohm resister in series with a 0.22uF capacitor going to ground. I used a single supply voltage and used a zener diode circuit to provide the "ground" for the 1kohm resister. But unfortunately I erroneously connected the 0.22uF capacitor to the negative supply instead of the zener cathode. I was wondering if, since in a transister circuit such as a common collector the collector is in effect connected to ground for ac purposes, if the same thing would apply here and hence it would be OK to leave the 0.22uF cap connected to the negative supply. I think it might have something to do with thevinizeing a circuit where you consider all dc supplies to be a short to graound ( when finding the thevinin equivelent impedance). Am I completely incorrect about this?

George

The RC circuit (also called boucherot cell or zobel network) should be connected across the load, respectively to a low impedance ground, not a virtual ground. The negative supply should be O.K. as well.

A zener diode virtual ground should be bypassed sufficiently, otherwise it must be feared to cause distortions.

Status
Not open for further replies.