Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

op amp audio amplifier circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

macs_lex

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
audio power amplifier

i just want to ask how to make an audio power amplifier (class B) on final stage to drive a load of 4 or 8 Ω to output power of 30 W? thank you. it's for a project. i'm quite confuse with the circuit i have. thanks again!:D

audio power amplifier

A class-B audio amplifier has crossover distortion. You want a class-AB audio amplifier.

30W RMS into 8 ohms is a signal that is 15.5V RMS or 43.8V p-p. Then the power supply must be about 54VDC minimum at 1.1A.

The amplifier would be an IC. Try an LM3875 or LM3886.

macs_lex

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
audio power amplifier

so it wouldn't be possible for a class B amplifier? thank you so much for the reply!;)

Re: audio power amplifier

macs_lex said:
so it wouldn't be possible for a class B amplifier? thank you so much for the reply!;)
Audio amplifiers use Class-AB because a Class-B circuit has crossover distortion that sounds horrible.

Here is a sine-wave without and with crossover distortion:

macs_lex

As posted above, class-B amplifiers sound horribly. However, they are used in some PA systems. There is one exception that comes to my mind: the current dumping technology developed by Quad uses a true class-B output and a small class-A driver which is used to drive small amplitude signals, resulting in a very good quality amp.
It is not an easy made project so, again as posted above, try using a LM3886 or similar and avoid having a headache.

macs_lex

Attached find the schematic of the Quad405 amp. As you can see, it is not an easy DIY project.

macs_lex

whew! yeah it's hard. :|
but i'll try the dumping amplifier. we really have to make a class b. yeah, it's a pain really. but i have to make it. <laughs> thank you so much! thank you for the replies.. now i have a better idea..:D

Please find attached the original article from the Wireless World magazine (1975) about the current dumping amp (a nasty design, but it works!!!).

macs_lex

Do you have a pre-amplifier circuit than can be connected to a class b power amplifier?thanks a lot!:D

macs_lex said:
Do you have a pre-amplifier circuit than can be connected to a class b power amplifier?thanks a lot!:D
We don't use a class-B amplifier because it has horrible crossover distortion. Instead we use a class-AB amplifier.

What do you want the preamp to do? Microphone input? Phono inputs?

Many audio amplifiers are designed to deliver full power to the load when the input voltage is in the range from 0.7 to 1V. And, obviously, many pre-amplifiers are designed to to deliver this same voltage. Each kind of sensor (e.g. a microphone) has its own characteristics and need different amplification and equalization. Apart from this, some tone controlls are desiderable. You can find lots of circuits on internet.
https://www.hobbyprojects.com/T/tone_controls.html
https://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/audioimages/audiockt13.shtml
https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/tone.asp
**broken link removed**
https://www.hobbyprojects.com/A/preamplifiers.html
**broken link removed**
https://www.epanorama.net/links/audiocircuits.html
Regards

macs_lex

pre-amplifier with a sound signal input coming from a player(mp3, cd, mp4, etc.) then the output would be connected to the input of the class b amplifier. the output of the class b amplifier is a speaker (8Ω).
we are to use lm741 in our pre-amplifier. :D

Find here an audio preamplifier with single transistor for auxillary Input. This is tested and used by me for my personal audio amplifier. Hope it helps you. Cheers

macs_lex

These equipment can be directly connected to the input of the amplifier and you can use their internal volume control if you wish but the circuit posted above is also recomended. You can use the LM741 (TL071 recomended) with unity gain followed by a logarithmic potentiometer too (doing the same as the circuit posted above). It has not been clear to us why do you need to use a class-B amplifier since modification to class-AB is very simple.

audio power amplifier

The single transistor preamp circuit is odd.
It has loss instead of amplification.
Its input is a divide by 48 times attenuator then the transistor has as much gain as possible to make up for it.

thank you. it's a project that requires a class b amplifier. how we wish to make a class ab, but it is a must to make the class b. maybe our teacher wanted us to learn first from class b before jumping to class ab. thank you very much for the circuit. i'll try it. i'm just having a hard time with the pre-amp. we are not being spoon-fed in our school that's why almost everything is self-studied. thank you very much to your replies. it helps me a lot! :D

how about for BJT used in push-pull amplifier?
what do you think is the best to use?
thanks again!:D

audio power amplifier

You can make a very simple class-B amplifier with an opamp, an NPN power transistor, a PNP power transistor and two resistors to set the gain. It will have crossover distortion that makes sounds like a buzzer.

The two power transistors are complementary emitter-followers and drive the speaker push-pull.

The opamp has a max output current of about 30mA and the power transistors will have a minimum current gain of 25 so the minimum peak output current is about 750mA or 530mA RMS. Then the power into an 8 ohm speaker is 2.2 Watts. The power supply will need to be at least 16VDC.

I am not going to sketch the simple schematic because it is your project.

yeah. i got it already. thanks a lot!:D

pauloynski said:
As posted above, class-B amplifiers sound horribly. However, they are used in some PA systems. There is one exception that comes to my mind: the current dumping technology developed by Quad uses a true class-B output and a small class-A driver which is used to drive small amplitude signals, resulting in a very good quality amp.
It is not an easy made project so, again as posted above, try using a LM3886 or similar and avoid having a headache.
I tried to simulate this circuit on pspice
it doesn't work at all
i don't understand why u put transistors on the +V and -V of the opamp!!!!
did u simulate it before?

I tried to simulate this circuit on pspice
it doesn't work at all
Which circuit? Are you refering to the "dumping-amplifier-100w", which seems to be an ancient Elektor circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back