Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op amp as DC amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepkiranv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can we use op amp for dc voltage amplification ? Does DC amplifier and DC to DC converter represent same ?

No. Op-amp outputs are always within the limits of their supply voltage, never higher. They can amplify a small DC signal, but only up to the limit of their supply.

It takes a DC-DC converter to create a higher voltage from a lower one.

No. Op-amp outputs are always within the limits of their supply voltage, never higher. They can amplify a small DC signal, but only up to the limit of their supply.

It takes a DC-DC converter to create a higher voltage from a lower one.

DC amplifier and DC-DC converter are same or different ?

I used an op amp to amplify a DC voltage. I was measuring current through a wire (by measuring voltage differential across it). The real value was between 0 and 40 mV. I adjusted op amp gain to be 200x. This gave me an output from 0 to 8V.

So this was DC amplification.

I used an op amp to amplify a DC voltage. I was measuring current through a wire (by measuring voltage differential across it). The real value was between 0 and 40 mV. I adjusted op amp gain to be 200x. This gave me an output from 0 to 8V.

So this was DC amplification.

thanks sir for your answer. i have one more doubt can we call DC amplifier as DC-DC converter or not. what the difference between these two terms.

Hi,

I think it's clearely explained that a DC DC converter is soeting completely different than a DC amplifier.

DCDC converters are used to generate supply voltages.

Amplifiers are wisely used, usally as signal amplifier.
Inside a power supply unit they are used as control loop, error amplifer....

Klaus

My solar garden light has a 1.2V battery but the DC to DC converter in it boosts the 1.2V to about 3.5VDC to light the colors changing LED. It does not have a DC amplifier.
My audio amplifier amplifies the tiny signal level from my MP3 player so that it can drive a speaker. It does not have a DC to DC converter.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.