Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Online Engineering Calculator with Units (with special features for EE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmitryvm

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A (really) advanced online engineering calculator created by an electrical engineer for fellow engineers and scientists:
**broken link removed**
It is general-purpose tool (i.e. no hardcoded formulas) somewhat in between standard engineering calculators and really heavy math software, such as MathCAD. Personally, I frequently use it for quick calculations like finding a time constant or resonant frequency.

Distinguishing features of the calculator are:

1. An ability to work with units such as A, mA, V, kOhm and so on in arbitrary complex expressions.
  2. Automatic unit conversion, e.g. 120mV/100Ohm + 12V/2.2kOhm is a valid expression.
  3. Automatic control of dimensional consistency, i.e. it does not allow to add volts and seconds, or compute a cosine of amperes.
  4. The result of a computation will be shown in the most appropriate units (using heuristics), e.g. 12kOhm*100pF will be displayed as 1.2us.
  5. A user can specify desired units of the result using the colon operator, e.g. 12kOhm*100pF:ns will display time constant in nanoseconds.
  6. Support for complex numbers, vectors, variables and user-defined functions.
  7. Nice visualization of expressions.

There is built-in DEMO mode (the orange button at the right-top corner), which shows almost all capabilities of the calculator. If you are interested in the tool, I highly recommend to watch the demo, since there are many non-trivial things the calculator can do.

Among other things, the parallel connection operator || can be very useful for electrical engineers. The operator allows to compute resistance or impedance in parallel connection using very compact syntax: 12kOhm||300Ohm, or, with complex numbers, (3+4j)Ohm||(5-6j)Ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back