Online Engineering Calculator with Units (with special features for EE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmitryvm

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A (really) advanced online engineering calculator created by an electrical engineer for fellow engineers and scientists:
**broken link removed**
It is general-purpose tool (i.e. no hardcoded formulas) somewhat in between standard engineering calculators and really heavy math software, such as MathCAD. Personally, I frequently use it for quick calculations like finding a time constant or resonant frequency.

Distinguishing features of the calculator are:

1. An ability to work with units such as A, mA, V, kOhm and so on in arbitrary complex expressions.
  2. Automatic unit conversion, e.g. 120mV/100Ohm + 12V/2.2kOhm is a valid expression.
  3. Automatic control of dimensional consistency, i.e. it does not allow to add volts and seconds, or compute a cosine of amperes.
  4. The result of a computation will be shown in the most appropriate units (using heuristics), e.g. 12kOhm*100pF will be displayed as 1.2us.
  5. A user can specify desired units of the result using the colon operator, e.g. 12kOhm*100pF:ns will display time constant in nanoseconds.
  6. Support for complex numbers, vectors, variables and user-defined functions.
  7. Nice visualization of expressions.

There is built-in DEMO mode (the orange button at the right-top corner), which shows almost all capabilities of the calculator. If you are interested in the tool, I highly recommend to watch the demo, since there are many non-trivial things the calculator can do.

Among other things, the parallel connection operator || can be very useful for electrical engineers. The operator allows to compute resistance or impedance in parallel connection using very compact syntax: 12kOhm||300Ohm, or, with complex numbers, (3+4j)Ohm||(5-6j)Ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…