Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One FPGA programmer for all

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA3040

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to FPGA

I am expecting to buy a FPGA development board as well as a programmer at low cost from ebay

Question

1. If i purchased ALTERA USB Blaster ( Link attached ) then can i use it to program xilinx FPGA's

**broken link removed**

Please advice

1. If i purchased ALTERA USB Blaster ( Link attached ) then can i use it to program xilinx FPGA's

Not to my knowledge, each device manufacture requires their specific device for their device families, it primarily comes down to the software drivers supported by Xilinx, Altera, Actel, etc, software and the need for the device to support both JTAG, specialized internal analysis features specific to the manufacturer, like ChipScope, and a synchronous serial interface for programming external memory devices, like SPI.

There are third party JTAG software and associated JTAG devices which may in theory be capable of the task with various manufacturer's FGPAs, CPLDs, etc, however they are intended primarily for JTAG board level boundary scan testing and the programming devices being a secondary feature. The specialized boundary scan software and associated JTAG devices tend to be quite pricey, JTAG Technologies is one such company. However, this would not alleviate the requirement to program SPI memory devices required to store the bitmap for volatile FPGAs nor provide the advanced analysis features, like ChipScope.

In the long run, purchasing the required devices compatible with each of the manufacturers whose devices you desire to incorporate into your designs would most likely be the most economical path.

There are numerous clones available which can be purchased at a fraction of the price of the genuine device from the manufacturer.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank Guru

I red the few threads and understood that the ALTERA is more cheap compare to Xilinx , What do you recommend

Last edited:

T red the few threads and understood that the ALTERA is more cheap compare to Xilinx , What do you recommend

Perhaps, the Xilinx USB Platform clones, seem to range in the $30 to $40 USD range, however the typically include several additional sets of leads and support ChipScope.

I purchased several Xilinx clones for a few clients whom were located some distance from my locale and they did not experience any issues with them. Just try and purchase from a vendor with good ratings and look for a quality product and full cable/lead set.

PA3040

Thanks

I understood your recommendation. due to price concern I have to look at low price
what do you think about the item in the link and alternative quality product at the same budget

**broken link removed**

Referring to your original question, this is neither an universal programmer, e.g. effectively usable for Xilinx projects.

The Cyclone IV is a better platform to experience FPGA programming than the MAX II development kit in your first link. A full featured development kit with LED and 7-segment output and various interfaces like the Terasic Altera DE0 Board would be of course convenient but also more expensive. https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=56&No=364

PA3040

I agree with Frank's assessment.

Also if you are looking for a versatile Xilinx development board, keep an eye out for used Digilent development boards, like the Spartan 3E Starter Kit or the Nexsys series. I often see them selling for quite reasonable prices on eBay, particularly at the end of a school semester, as they are often sold to students with a large academic discount, as are many of the Terasic Altera DEx kits Frank mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.