Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One Easy question: What Simulator for Multiple Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

costox

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,

What simulator I can use to simulate the interaction, or interference, or reflection, or collision; that is simulation of several antennas at the same time ? (Matlab is not an option)

Thank you for your answer. Well, I will elaborate more on my question as this discussion progresses.

Thank you all.

Your question provides no details making this just a guess. Ansoft HFSS can deal with this type of evaluation in some situations. I have no idea if it fits your situation.

Well, one of the many situations I'd like to simulate is this:

Three transmit antennas (located at left, right, top).

20-60 receive antennas (arranged such that to form a 3D rectangular), located at the center of the 3 transmit antennas.

The receive antennas are partly separated by partial metal wall.

Freq: 1000 kHz and 900 Mhz
Distance between receive and transmit antenna: 0.5 - 2 meters

I am only partially right to think that HFSS would take very long to simulate; and only lumped-port can be used.

I welcome any comments.

Three antennas should be tractable. You again do not say much about the three. Modest gain antennas would be fine, but if the antennas are high gain parabolas, good luck.

20 to 60 individual antennas would be a challenge for any simulator.

HFSS is not the fastest code, that is for sure, and it can need buckets of RAM as well. I would try to start by simulating a few near-by antennas and then gradually increase the scope of the analysis. There are also features in the code to allow you to deal with array problems and inter-element coupling. Look into linked boundary conditions.

HFSS has a wide selection of feeding techniques besides lumped ports.

If you have to simulate something this large but need detailed modeling for the interaction, I would recommend you start with a time domain code; especially if you can get away with stimulating one transmit antenna and record the signals coupled to each receiving antenna. Then you only need one port simulation per transmit antenna.

Time domain analysis (FDTD, TLM, FIT, etc) will give you broadband response and memory requirements increase linearly with problem size; that is a pretty good advantage over finite-element frequency domain approaches.

Many academic codes exist out there for this kind of analysis. Some commercial codes would include Flomerics Micro-Stripes, Remcom XFDTD, CST Microwave Studio (actually time domain is just one of their solvers), and Zeland Fidelity; there are probably others as well.

-Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back