Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One antenna for WLAN and Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

hqqh

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bluetooth antenna in wikipedia

Hi,

is it possible to use only one antenna for a WLAN / Bluetooth application if the antenna is multiplexed? Does someone know such a device? I thougth it can be implemented like this:
PCB antenna (2.4ghz) --> Multiplexer |--> Balloon 1 --> RF IC1
................................................. ...|--> Balloon 2 --> RF IC2

regards
hqqh

“A balloon is a flexible bag filled with a type of gas, such as helium, hydrogen, nitrous oxide or air”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon

Probably you want to say balun (BALanced to UNbalanced)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balun

I don’t think that a balun can help to switch one antenna to 2 transceivers, that works simultaneous on the same frequency.

hi vfone,

thank you for the spelling check :).
I thought two baluns are needed in the case that RF IC 1 and RF IC 2 have different input/output impedances. I don't want the balun to do this switching thing. for this task the multiplexer should be there.
For the application i have in mind, i just need to receive data in a short time frame using RF IC 1 and after this, i want to send data for a short time frame using RF IC 2. So the reason, why i want just one antenna is to save pcb area.
And i thought in mobile phones the antenna is used for gsm and gps together. So it seams to be a solution for this problem, isn't it?

Any ideas?

regards
hqqh

How about a circulator since you dont need to transmit and receive at the same time ?

GSM and GPS use different frequencies.
I don’t think you can use the antenna just for receiving WLAN and Bluetooth protocols. You have to transmit also, to maintain the link connection. And when you transmit you need an isolation between transceivers.

Hi all,

ok, I found a device which seems to be suitable: Analog Devices - ADG936 RF switch. wideband 4GHz, high isolation between these two channels.
@vfone: as I said, only one rf transceiver is active at the same time. during this time the active transceiver can receive and transmit data. So I think it should work.

Regards
hqqh

do you know any type of the antenna that suitable to design for bluetooth and wifi band frequency?
i want to design the antenna for bluetooth and wifi application. i need to find which type suitable. i already try to tuning monopole antenna but it is hard to get dual band(bluetooth and wifi)

regards,
kyg

WLAN 802.11 b/g and Bluetooth use the same 2.4GHz ISM band, so should be no problem using the same antenna. Only WLAN 802.11a use 5.6GHz band.

vfone,

may i know how much efficiency performance for the antenna that you get?
what type antenna that you used for your application?

rgds,
kyg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back