Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] On which pin of microcontroller, should i connect the RS, RW and E pin of 16x2 LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidhitrivedi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I m interfacing microcontroller with 16x2 LCD and a numeric keypad,
I m beginning with connecting the LCD with microcontroller,
but i m confused as to which pin of 8051 should i connect the E, R/W and RS pins of LCD?
If it depends on the application then my project is to make a length counter device which counts the length of cord passed through the pulley with the help of proximity switch. The input of the length is given by the user through keypad which must also ne displayed on the LCD screen...

Waiting for the reply,
Thankyou.

no special pin needed for E, R/W and RS pin. Just a output pins.

Nidhitrivedi said:
but i m confused as to which pin of 8051 should i connect the E, R/W and RS pins of LCD?
In general you can connect those signals to any IO pin. R/W is kept grounded in many applications, since no read operation is needed. In this way you can save one pin. The other two signals are absolutely necessary to be connected to a pin configured as output. If you need the R/W pin to be connected to an IO as well, then it should be an output pin.

Alexandros

Status
Not open for further replies.