Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

omnidirectional dual polarization antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biff44

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there any design for a omnidirectional antenna that receives both horizontal and vertical polarizations without incuring a 3 dB hit in gain for the dual polarization feature? I think the answer is no, since you are in essence passively combining two different antennas, but I would be interested if there was a way to do it without additional loss.

A topic of great interest !
ok, i am excited to know more; lets discuss the origin of the loss.
is it due the mutual coupling effect of two near antennas ?

I am very interested in picking up 3 dB whenever possible! I did an antenna once where I combined a vertical polarized whip with a horizontal polarized loop, and it did give me omnidirectional dual polarization pickup. They were both "small" antennas, and I did not have precise measuring equipment, so I never empirically answered the question of if I took a 3 dB hit on each polarization. I combined them 90 degrees out of phase, as that seemed to work better than 0 degree in-phase combining.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back