Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old Passion, New Hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB1SYV

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I have in the past been involved in troubleshooting electronics and just playing around. Due to my military obligations, the time was never there to continue, so I found myself a victim of the old saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it! Now almost 22 years later, I am involved with amateur radio and getting into kitbuilding and circuit design and build. My first purchase's need to be the basics, like soldering iron, solder, flux, solder braid and such. I also would like some advice on the basic components I should initially get, and how much? For instance, transisters, diodes, resistors, IC's and so on. I have looked, but have been unable to find an explanation on what size solder I should buy. I have no idea if .031 diameter would be too thick, would .02 be too small? The soldering iron is another issue. I'm not too sure how many watts I would need. I do know that I want to be able to control the temperature. I will be doing surface mount I guess, I will be building amatuer radio amplifiers, CW transmitters, signal generators, and anything else I deem cool. I am long winded, but I would appreciate any input and advice anyone could be gracious enough to give.

Thank you,

Jeff

Soldering iron should be something in the 40 - 50 W range and adjustable. Something from Weller or Hakko for ≈$100 with a few chisel and screwdriver tips for through hole work. Weller tips and parts are easier to buy but Hakko has some thinner handpiece's. Solder of 0.031" diameter will be good for most through hole work.

For surface mount, solder can be 0.020" or 0.015" diameter. For SMT you will need a bent hook tip for small discrete components, a knife tip for J leads and one or two conical bevel tips for gull wing leads. A magna visor is great for SMT since it preserves binocular vision. You'll also need SMT tweezers. I have two types of needle tips that I use for touch ups on multi lead components. Take a class in surface mount soldering at your local community college.

For components, it depends on what you intend to do and on what local sources you have available. I have an electronics surplus store nearby so I tend to shop most of my stuff there. Ask around so you know what's available before you start ordering parts and paying shipping. If you have to order, look at getting an assortment of ¼W resistors and 50V ceramic capacitors from Jameco .

Last edited:
Reactions: KB1SYV

KB1SYV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dave, thank you for responding. I was hoping to spend a little less than a $100 on a soldering iron, I want to get other things so I can maybe swing a project with my limited monthly allowance. I also want to get some various component kit's as well. Do you have any recommendations besides Jameco? I just got their catalog, but haven't found any others yet?

thanks,

Jeff

Check my previous post as I edited it multiple times. The other big online sources are Digikey Electronic Components Distributor | DigiKey Corp. | US Home Page, Mouser Mouser Electronics- Distributeur de composants électroniques and Newark US - Electronic Components Distributor | Newark.com. The usual approach for larger equipment purchases when money is tight is craigslist, local colleges/tech schools, Ham clubs, etc. I see people upgrading their soldering equipment all the time and giving away or selling their old stuff cheap. Just be sure that you get something you will be able to get tips, heaters and other parts for.

Last edited:

Thank you Dave! I really appreciate the info and the time it took you to do it! I might have to just hold off and buy a decent soldering iron this month, and wait until next month to buy components that I need. I just need to find some beginner schematics, maybe for a CW transceiver, or even an amplifier! Well, thank you again Dave!

Jeff

Find you circuits first and that will help decide what you need. If it is just through hole components then a cheap iron will do. If you need surface mount then fancy tips and temperature control are more important. Even then you should be able to manage with a couple of tips - I do - although I have a low power iron for surface mount.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.