Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

old dos programs under win2K - how to run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnomix

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dos programs under win2K

Hi boys and girls,
I have an old dos program that work fine under win98 and winnt but not under win2k.
Somebody know a way for run this type of program under win2k?

Thx
Gnomix

I think that you are condemned to go for a solution like installing a virtual NT machine under VmWare (minimal NT will "cost" you about 300 Mb).

Hi pardal. I have the same problem. Could you please be more specific? What is this software? Where can I find it? Thanks in advance for the info.

I think in Win2k you are out of luck, you can do this in WinXP by formatting a floppy as a system disk and booting from it - this will put you in a true DOS environment. My hardrive is not formatted NTFS and this works OK- of course you may have to reset environment variables and modify the autoexec.bat file on the floppy to run a dos mouse driver.

SiGiNT

Re: dos programs under win2K

gnomix said:
Hi boys and girls,
I have an old dos program that work fine under win98 and winnt but not under win2k.
Somebody know a way for run this type of program under win2k?

Thx
Gnomix

hi gnomix,

i have the same problem, maybe this link may helps

**broken link removed**

boyzplus

I'm wondering that your DOS program runs under NT. On the Win2000-CD there's a program (somewhere hidden in the CAB-files) called "apcompat.exe". This is for compatibility to older applications telling them another OS-version. You should try it ....

Good luck,
Mik

I still cannot use my old dos program after using apcompat.exe. why?

M!k said:
I'm wondering that your DOS program runs under NT. On the Win2000-CD there's a program (somewhere hidden in the CAB-files) called "apcompat.exe". This is for compatibility to older applications telling them another OS-version. You should try it ....

Good luck,
Mik

Hi,
I'm not able to download this file, when i try to download it I'm receive the following message windows:

General Error

Could not login to FTP Server. The Username 'sunshine' or the Password is wrong. Please check your FTP-Settings.

Please help me

Gnomix

hi,

don't worry, i'm having exactly the same problem also!

boyzplus

arturt134 said:
Hi pardal. I have the same problem. Could you please be more specific? What is this software? Where can I find it? Thanks in advance for the info.
Vmware is an amayzing soft that allows you to install several different guest OSs under your host OS. So you can install NT4, Win98, DOS, linux as virtual machines and run them as if they were real computers.
See www.vmware.com

Dos

Hello,

in prospective of the comming problems caused by good oldies running under newer OS, i decided in early times to reserve always a small partition for the latest dos 6.22. It takes only a few numbers of MBytes and works more convinient and reliable then all other solutions!

Robby

most DOS programs, which can't work under Win 2000 or XP are this tools which uses some hardware resources without the driver, which provides the OS (Win 2000 or XP)... For example (not working programs) - all tools which uses COM ports and parallel port as programmers and etc...

Maybe your sollution is vmware?!?!? but it's not free - you can buy it or crack it...

I think, vmware is the programm which I'm looking for. Thanks for the info pardal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back