Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

off the shelf SMPS ground noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colon

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I work for a company making sensitive RF receiver equipment and need to find a suitably quiet 24V 80W+ supply. I could go with a linear supply but my main stumbling blocks there are fitting it in our chassis (82mm high) and having end-user selectable input AC voltage (110/220V is needed). A SMPS would be preferred if I can make it quiet in my band of interest, which is 10kHz to 1.5MHz.

I can deal with radiated noise through our own screening. I can also deal with DC rail conducted noise if I throw enough CM and DM filtering at it. The problem I have found this week is noise getting through onto my chassis through the earth, presumably through mains filter Y caps. I see this at the switching frequency and also much lower, around 10-15kHz, which I assume is pulse skipping.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this, or a quiet supply I can try, or even what to look for in the specs. So far I've tried an Emerson LPS100-M, TDK NV175 and Traco TXL, which we had lying around. Emersons was worst despite being medically rated with a low leakage current. Traco was best.

Also, an earth choke doesn't help I've discovered...

Thanks
James

Status
Not open for further replies.