Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

nV/Hz to dBc/Hz conversion for phase noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepsetan

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I've problem in calculating the phase noise of my 2.4-GHz local oscillator for my receiver. In LTSPICE simulation, the phase noise generated is in V/(Hz)^1/2. How to convert V/Hz to dBc/(Hz)^1/2. I don't found any enough information for this conversion. I try to use 20*log (Vn/Vc) where Vn and Vc is voltage at offset frequency and carrier frequency but I think there is something wrong. This is my phase noise simulation.

Vc = 85.8408pV/(Hz)^1/2 at 2.4-GHz
Vn = 85.8409pV/(Hz)^1/2 at 2.401-GHz for 1-MHz offset frequency

Looks like the noise number is 0 dBc at 1 MHz. Possible in some kind of architectures for VCO.

BTW what kind of oscillator are you using?

Looks like the noise number is 0 dBc at 1 MHz. Possible in some kind of architectures for VCO.

BTW what kind of oscillator are you using?

Hi,

Actually the peak spectral voltage Vc = 160mV/Hz at 2.4-GHz. So the phase noise is around 180 dBc/Hz @ 1-MHz. I'm using pierce oscillator circuit topology with CMOS MEMS SAW resonator.

In LTSPICE simulation, the phase noise generated is in V/(Hz)^1/2. How to convert V/Hz to dBc/(Hz)^1/2.

You have specified the noise level, but not the carrier level. To calculate the phase noise in dBc (where c stand for carrier), you need the noise level and the carrier level.

Vc = 85.8408pV/(Hz)^1/2 at 2.4-GHz

Makes no sense. The carrier level is not specified in V/Hz^1/2 because ideally, it is a single tone. The carrier level is an absolute level, so it should be something like Vc=xxx mV.

You have specified the noise level, but not the carrier level. To calculate the phase noise in dBc (where c stand for carrier), you need the noise level and the carrier level.

Makes no sense. The carrier level is not specified in V/Hz^1/2 because ideally, it is a single tone. The carrier level is an absolute level, so it should be something like Vc=xxx mV.

Hi,

Actually my problem already solved and I got the value of Vc which is 160mV
and I managed to convert V/Hz into dBc/Hz. After did my simulation and some calculations, the phase noise is around 180dBc/Hz @ 1-MHz.

After did my simulation and some calculations, the phase noise is around 180dBc/Hz @ 1-MHz.

Congratulation!

You now have a world record oscillator - or a mistake in your calculations.

- - - Updated - - -

Vc which is 160mV

If your carrier is 160mV into 50 Ohm, that is -6dBm. Thermal noise at room temperature is -174dBm/Hz, so oscillator noise floor can't be less than -174dBm/Hz (absolute level) or -168dBc/Hz (noise level relative to -6dBm carrier).

Congratulation!

You now have a world record oscillator - or a mistake in your calculations.

- - - Updated - - -

If your carrier is 160mV into 50 Ohm, that is -6dBm. Thermal noise at room temperature is -174dBm/Hz, so oscillator noise floor can't be less than -174dBm/Hz (absolute level) or -168dBc/Hz (noise level relative to -6dBm carrier).

Hi,

1.Today I changed some of the values and I found that my peak spectral voltage of Vc at 2.4-GHz is actually 115.02mV. This make the phase noise of the oscillator becomes around 182.48dBc/Hz @ 1-MHz. If you don't mind, can you explain to me how you relate the phase noise with the -6dBm value.

2. The phase noise of Bluetooth is -110dBc/Hz @ 500-KHz offset frequency. GSM850 and GSM require -118dBc/Hz @ 600-KHz offset frequency. If I want to make the oscillator operate in bluetooth and gsm, does it mean that my local oscillator does not meet the requirement?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back