Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nuisance triggering of LM555

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinK

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a circuit that is essentially a shock alarm. It uses a piezo shock sensor. The main circuit is based around an LM555 chip such that the shock sensor triggers the LM555 which drives a transistor which drives a horn. The 555 chip is being used in the standard monostable configuration. The circuit works properly except that when it is first powered up the shock sensor will register a false shock and the alarm will go off. Thereafter it all works correctly. Every fresh power on presents this problem.

I'd like to somehow prevent the 555 from registering the false trigger pulse upon start up but everything I've tried has not worked. I've tried various schemes with capacitors and resistors to try to keep reset low or prevent the trigger from showing, but I'm just not hitting upon the right steps to do this. Admittedly I'm somewhat new to electronics. Does anyone have any tips as to how to prevent the initial start up weirdness from triggering the alarm? Thanks!

hi
see that schematic

**broken link removed**

CollinK

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.