Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noticed issues in Ansoft Q3D's 2D Extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace_operations

Junior Member level 3
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
28
Helped
15
Reputation
30
Reaction score
11
Trophy points
1,283
Activity points
1,472
Hi,

I have noticed some issues in Ansoft Q3D's 2D Extractor and thought I'll put it up to see if others noticed something similar. Here's the situation:

I am trying to extract RLGC parameters of a transmission line for different substrate properties like loss tangent and substrate conductivity. For a constant loss tangent, increasing substrate conductivity should result in higher values of 'G'. However, the extracted 'G' values are exactly the same regardless of substrate conductivity. After some debugging, I found that Ansoft Q3D's 2D extractor 'ignores' substrate conductivity if loss tangent is defined.

To fix this problem, I extracted 'G' in two steps: (1) GL - when only loss tangent is present, (2) GC - when only substrate conductivity is present, and added the 'G' values as GL+GC. The results are very close to that predicted by Sonnet. This is most likely a bug in the software!

Let me know your thoughts/comments.

Thanks.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top