Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Not expensive Hot Air SMD Rework Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_extreme

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hotjet bga station

I'm looking for a non expensive Hot Air SMD Rework Station , it's for personal use. Use, rebuild or new station will be good, I want to solder SSOP TQFP PLCC PQFP etc... thanks for your help

I used to use high-watt hair-dryer
with a nice tweezers.

But you migh have to buid a air-flow
controller so the heat can be directly applied
to the SMD component you want to remove.

I need more detail

Do I realy understan you make soldering with hot hair blower ? How you do that, And what type of package you can solder whit this ?

Hi,
I use the hot air tool Hot-Jet S from Leister. Here you'll find a description: h**p://www.jannone.ch/files/Ssch.pdf
There are different jets available and I do solder 0.5mm fine pitch parts without problems

Try here...

h**p://www.usbmicro.com/apps.html

Linked to from here....

h**p://library.solarbotics.net/techniques/smt_assy.html

hI,

Which is more or less the price of the Leister heater?

Thanks a lot,

mimoto

Hi mImoto,

it was about 300$ I think but I bought it 2 years ago. There are cheaper ones available but this one has the advantage that you can adjust the air flow and heating linearily (in contrast to the cheaper ones providing only 2 or 3 steps)

Hello again,

I have looked at www.malcom.com for getting price information and:

Leister Hot Jet S Digital, 120V 435 W, 1D. $1645.00
Hot Jet S 1.1 hot air tool, 120 V 460 W. $532.00

have these ones something more?? their price is near the double of $300.

I have also seen the:

Weldy Plus Heatgun, 120V 2000W. $185.00
https://www.weldytool.com/english/html/produkte.html looking

Has anyone use this? it seems cheaper.

Best regards,

mimoto

I USED A PAINT STRIPPER FOR MANY YEARS
THE SECRET IS TO PLACE THREE DIODES IN SERIES AND PLACE SWITCHES TOO SHORT THEM OUT {to increase the heat by installing removing rectfications so halfing the volts {or so...}}
LEAVING THE MOTOR TOO RUN AT FULL SPEED {QUITE SLOW}
THIS GIVES SPOT HEAT AND A backgroud for warming too remove easily the older chip

too actualy get the chip off i use a sucker for grinding the valves in a car engine or motorbike

this sucker comes on a stick each side a different size so between the two sizes will do any chip
you need too add a coin to the top of it with a hole drilled in it for the swizzle make sure the coin sits on a nail put through just above the suckers connection {or it melts faster expect too replace one ever twenty jobs but these cost nothing few pence you can also get kids toy guns have these stickers too}
using some old thin shielding from a tv mixer you can make a air pinpoints and fluts in a square and mig weld it up or i used a car battery the tag weld it using electric spot but also drilling holes and using small nuts and bolts for the seem is also good

solder wont work obviously

but a good seal isnt so important

the best advice i can add is that you should get an old compact chipset type board lots of sdm package
that is no loner in service and pratice desoler then resolder the same chip see how you get on

Later I used common gas iron, and desolder components directly by small flame. If the man is skilful, then it is works very fine. I desoldered (and resoldered) a lot of LQFP80 (PCD50912) packages without destroing of PCB.

pool_77

Why is not possible to use product like the Weldy Plus Heatgun, 120V 2000W. It has the range of temperatures needed for soldering SMD components. It has digital control of the temperature, so I think it is possible to make the Temperature profile needed for SMD rework. Of course MONKEY I don't want to sell any of the boards mounted with this heatgun, so I don't need a top quality. I would appreciate if you could tell me more information about SMD rework (tips or suggestions).

I have seen in my previous job people that mount fine-pitch BGA devices with a hot-air tool.

Thanks anyway,

mimoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back