Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nor Flash interfacing ----Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assweasel

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
nor flash interfacing

I came across 2 256mb Intel Nor Flash (48f3300J0) in 64 ball BGA package.
So I buy them for a couple bucks and get to work trying to see if i can read them. Curiosity killed the cat. I had to do some reballing which i did successfully and then I made a pcb board that brings all the pins out to 4 16 pin sil headers.

What I was hoping to do from here was to either make an IDE interface or a USB Flash drive for them. Having failed on searching for any schematic showing how the NOR Flash interfaces with a microcontroller. I bought several usb drives and took them apart. Everyone i have looked at so far uses NAND Flash in a 56 pin TSOP package.

Since theses Nor chips are used in embedded systems they are most likely already pre-programmed as bootable ramdisks. I thought perhaps interfacing them as an IDE drive would work but again failed in finding any schematic or pinouts for such a device.

So i start hitting up the cellular schematics and again ran into the problem of finding that they to use NAND technology.

I am just a pure hobbiest with no formal training i have experince with several types of Pic Arm and 8051 microcontrollers I can program in any language and am not worried about the source code aspect of this project.

Questions i have are do NOR and Nand follow the same (CFI) specification?
If so would the interfacing to a microcontroller be the same for both or would there be differences?

Final question is there a standard method of interfacing these chips to a microcontroller and if so can anyone point me to it .

I have built successful projects using I2C CAN and SPI as memory buses but have run into a wall with this type of memory.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.