Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[NOOB] RFID reader antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessarsst

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I've got 2 125KHz reader modules (HZ-1050) & (RDM6300). I can easily read tags with them. Both have external antennas which are just coils.

My goal is to read rfid tags which is being used for fuel automation. Like these ones.

Main question is;

When i tried my 2 reader modules to read from a car's vehicle tags on the fuel inlet, i couldn't read anything.

Is this just because the vehicle tag antenna is connected to an active RF module and authentication is blocking to communicate

or

"Even if it would be a passive tag" Is it because i haven't got enough power from the amplifier of the module. What should i do to read this huge antenned tag?

Today i've found a different antenna which is used in petrol station pump to read fuel tank id tags. When i look to the coil i've found 2 identical capacitors series to the coil.

antennacable_1 -----------------| |--------| |----------(Coil)--------------------- antennacable_2

it says "330j COG 50" on the capacitors.

I cannot use this antenna with my reader modules. I guess it simply just dont fit inductance value to oscillate but line capacitors? It tells me "You need more power and tuning"

Help me with my brain freeze please, Thank you!

~Elessar

I've got 2 125KHz reader modules (HZ-1050) & (RDM6300). I can easily read tags with them. Both have external antennas which are just coils.

My goal is to read rfid tags which is being used for fuel automation. Like these ones.

Main question is;

When i tried my 2 reader modules to read from a car's vehicle tags on the fuel inlet, i couldn't read anything.

Is this just because the vehicle tag antenna is connected to an active RF module and authentication is blocking to communicate

or

"Even if it would be a passive tag" Is it because i haven't got enough power from the amplifier of the module. What should i do to read this huge antenned tag?

Today i've found a different antenna which is used in petrol station pump to read fuel tank id tags. When i look to the coil i've found 2 identical capacitors series to the coil.

antennacable_1 -----------------| |--------| |----------(Coil)--------------------- antennacable_2

it says "330j COG 50" on the capacitors.

I cannot use this antenna with my reader modules. I guess it simply just dont fit inductance value to oscillate but line capacitors? It tells me "You need more power and tuning"

The primary issue is the GASNGO RFID Tags are ISO15693 Standard which operate at the 13.56 MHz frequency, not 125kHz. In short your RFID readers and the GASNGO RFID Tags are not compatible.

BigDog

You'll need a ISO15693 Standard compliant reader. There are several available,

TI offers a reasonably priced development kit with a bag of transponders/tags:

**broken link removed**

BigDog

I've seen that spec on the link before but I just wanted to show you the shape of antenna. The product should be 125 Khz.

It is mentioned in this article's 4th paragraph

First I've tried with my NFC Phone to read the tag, nothing happened and then i've tried these LF fellows.

Unfortunately, not all 125kHz tags are created equal, even though they all maybe ISO 18000-2:2004 compliant. Orpak Systems' vehicle identification for fueling system, NanOpass, utilizes a ISO 18000-2:2004 compliant RFID system which utilize an entirely different transponder scheme from the EM4100 or EM4001 tags your current RFID readers are equipped to read.

Today, there are many ISO and proprietary RFID system transponder schemes, while most are ISO 18000-2 complaint and although they may operate on the same frequency, they are not compatible. For example, HID manufactures several 125kHz systems which utilize a proprietary RFID system which tags are not compatible with your current RFID readers, nor can HID readers typically read EM4100 or EM4001 tags. Many vary in the method of encoding employed, Manchester, Bi-phase, PSK, etc, others on the bit length.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.