Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noob needs help (pcb layout gerber files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vale29

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey.
I have never made a board before, and I have a few questions. I want to route a reed switch to a clamp and I have created something very simple for that. If I give the attached Gerber file to a company, will it come out correctly? three holes should be mounting holes, on the other four I want to solder normally. Will there be problems?

Attachments

• Project.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 53

I'm not going to open an unknown zip file. But if you give your gerbers to a reputable company, they'll identify any problems like clearances, etc.. What kind of problems would you expect? All you talk about is mounting holes and "others". How are they different? Are the mounting holes plated through? Do they have pads?

Vale29

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Your Gerber folder contains many unused layer files. (Silkscreen,, solder paste, assembly drawing, dimensions). I would send only files for layers used in the design. NC drill data is however missing. Typically you'll have separate files for plated and unplated holes. Otherwise the hole type must be coded in the tool table.

Vale29

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Your Gerber folder contains many unused layer files. (Silkscreen,, solder paste, assembly drawing, dimensions). I would send only files for layers used in the design. NC drill data is however missing. Typically you'll have separate files for plated and unplated holes. Otherwise the hole type must be coded in the tool table.
Thats what confused me. I added holes in the software and on the 3d-view i also saw them. However, when i added the file in a online gerber-viewer, there were things like "zero drill holes". Maybe i exported the file wrong 🤔. Is there somwhere a explanation what for example silk screen means/ is for? what is the diffrence between a plated and a unplated hole?
Thanks for your answer, allready helpful!

I think you need to back up and actually learn what a PCB is. There is tons of information on the web. Generally, the layout software comes with tutorials. The fact that you don’t know what a silkscreen or plated through hole is tells me that you shouldn’t even be laying out a board until you know more. We can answer specific problems, but we can’t teach you everything you need to know.

Google for gerbv software, try it. In layers window press ”+” sign and add all your files. For simple board you need GTL GBL GTS GBS GKO DRL. I will take a look at your files tomorrow.
What software did you used to create this layout?

The tool is DipTrace, and as already mentioned, there are no drill files. in the folder.

Here is what you need to do:

1) go to File>>>Export>>>Gerber, press "Files" button and fill in this table:
gerber-diptrace.png

You may also add "Top silk <project>.gto" for silk-screen.
Next time you export you board you will need to press "Export All" button and then "Save" button several times.

2) go to File >>> Export >>> N/C Drill, press "Export" button, then press "Yes" for automatic tool selection. It will save a *.DRL file.
Usually I rename this file to project name . drl, so all gerbers and drill file have the same name.

Without silk screen you will have 6 files:
1. GTL, 2. GBL - top and bottom layer copper
3. GTS, 4. GBS - top and bottom solder mask
5. GKO - board outline and cutouts
6. DRL - drill file

File in the attachment do not have DRL file, you must export it using File >>> Export >>> N/C Drill menu

Attachments

• board.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 43

Status
Not open for further replies.