Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

non-standard connector for ETHERNET 10/100Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucast85

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I'm going to implement an ethernet connection to my electronic board. The board will use an "automotive-style" connector like the SUPERSEAL from TE.
I'm thinking to use 4pins (+ 1 pin for shield) of the Superseal connector to transmit the ethernet signals from the board to the panel of my device. Probably, in the panel, i'll use a water-proof RJ45/M12.
  • Is it possible to use a non-standard ethernet connector like the SUPERSEAL instead of the classic RJ45/M12 for a 1m/2m line ?
  • is it mandatory to use a shielded 2 pair twisted cable?
Regards
Luca

I don’t think the connector matters as much as the cable. But you definitely want twisted pairs. Shielding? Well, that depends on your environment. If the cable is running in outer space, you probably don’t need a shield, but on Earth, that’s a different story. You don’t say anyth8ng about speed or distance.

Speed: 10/100Mbps
Distance: 2m max (from PCB to RJ45 panel connector)
Environment: inside a metallic box

inside a metal box, with...snakes? A 1 M-watt transmitter? A 500 HP motor?

I would guess you PROBABLY don’t need a shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back