Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non PLL based Phase measurement Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious_mind

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have two signals, Vsinwt and Vsin(wt+theta). I need to find the value of theta with the accuracy of 0.05 degrees. Can anybody suggest method for phase difference determination without the use of PLL. I found several methods such as hilbert, kalman filter etc but not sure whether they would meet my accuracy requirement

You are posting in digital signal processing forum, do I expect correctly that you are asking about digitized input signals. If not, please clarify.

In any case, the phase noise spectrum of input signals determines the maximal bandwidth of phase measurement and required filtering in the phase detector. If you don't want a PLL, you can bandpass filter the signals before sending it to the detector.

I have two signals, Vsinwt and Vsin(wt+theta). I need to find the value of theta with the accuracy of 0.05 degrees. Can anybody suggest method for phase difference determination without the use of PLL. I found several methods such as hilbert, kalman filter etc but not sure whether they would meet my accuracy requirement
Apparently, you have found few methods of calculating the phase offset. Theoretically, they all should give same accuracy limited only by acquisition S/N, and number of samples and effective bandwidth.

That is simply a resolution of 1/0.05 deg * 360 >= 7200 x signal frequency for a time interval counter that is harmonically related. Injection locked loop)

If optical , it could be an interferometer.

Perhaps the easiest is an XOR gate with very stable peak voltage such that the duty cycle average filtered DC voltage can be measured with 80 dB SNR which requires as many samples as the inverted resolution ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back