Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-modal objects in HFSS for conductor/dielectric

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to temporarily "delete" some objects from my HFSS model, so they play no part. Can I do that by just making the object non-model, then converting it back to model if I want to include it later?

The manual says:

If you want to create an object that does not affect the geometric model, define the object as non model. This ensures that the object is used for analysis only; it will not affect the solution process. After drawing the non-model object, assuming it lies in the problem region, you can use it in the reporter as a place on which to plot field quantities. For example, draw a non-model line across the design, then (in the reporter) plot Mag_E on every point along that line.

which I think indicates it can do what I want, but I'm not 100% sure, since my non-model object wont be a line, but a conductor or dielectric.

Deborah

Re: Non-Modal objects in HFSS

once you declare a geometry as a non-model, from what i know you won't be able to assign any material to your geometry and also the simulator won't allow you to assign any boundary condition to it either.

So, in that case, your material should not affect your simulation process.

Re: Non-Modal objects in HFSS

hello
i want gps antenna design file (.*hfss) with circular polarization .........can anybody help me by giving such downloadable file i required it urgently..........please please please email-hmagar15@gmail.com
:-(

Setting objects as "non-model" serves as an approach to "delete" them. However, you need to know that whether or not this kind of "non-model" objects exist have some influence on the simulation results. This has been used as a trick to manipulate the mesh in HFSS in old days.

Setting objects as "non-model" serves as an approach to "delete" them. However, you need to know that whether or not this kind of "non-model" objects exist have some influence on the simulation results. This has been used as a trick to manipulate the mesh in HFSS in old days.

I am having an issue with HFSS. I am simulating sub-wavelength structures in the THz region and I find that my minimum tetrahedral length is about an order of magnitude larger than the smallest geometrical feature in my design. Can you still manipulate the mesh using non-model objects? If not, can anyone suggest how to get a finer mesh? I made a non-model box to surround my small features and and set a maximum element length to the size I want. However, there does not seem to be a mesh generated in it.

I am using HFSS v14.

v/r

John

As far as I know, non-model objects do not affect generation of the mesh.

When simulating antennas in free space, I add a 'virtual box', which is just a box (material: vaccuum, no boundary conditions) about halfway between my object and the radiating boundary box. This helps to improve the meshing, without affecting the results. This box does not intersect any other object and is included in the model.

Maybe you can could use a similar technique for your model ?

As far as I know, non-model objects do not affect generation of the mesh.

When simulating antennas in free space, I add a 'virtual box', which is just a box (material: vaccuum, no boundary conditions) about halfway between my object and the radiating boundary box. This helps to improve the meshing, without affecting the results. This box does not intersect any other object and is included in the model.

Maybe you can could use a similar technique for your model ?

Thanks jeeudr. I will try that.

v/r

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back