Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-linearity analysis of time to voltage converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirac16

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I measure the linearity of a time to voltage converter? For ADC we can measure its DNL, INL, gain error, ENOB etc. to assess its linearity performance. But as for a TVC both time and voltage vary continuously it does not make sense to define DNL/INL and so on. So what are the alternative methods to derive the linearity of the TVC?

I want to design a two-step time to digital converter using a time to voltage converter followed by an ADC. So the non-linearity analysis of the TVC is important to select the right number of bits for the AD conversion.

TVC PWM implementation with a LPF post output ? If so its absolutely monotonic
so clock uncertainty would be primary factor.

Regards, Dana.

INL is an dispersion of actual value from ideal one, and is applicable to every linear system, fully continuous as well. Simply, you will not normalised it to LSB but to range and express in % or ppm.

INL is an dispersion of actual value from ideal one, and is applicable to every linear system, fully continuous as well. Simply, you will not normalised it to LSB but to range and express in % or ppm.
Right, if I am only able to draw INL in percentage then I don't know how that helps in knowing the maximum applicable resolution of the forefront ADC. For example, I don't know what the maximum resolution of the ADC can be based on the linearity of the TVC. I would need to analyze the TVC transfer curve and give an estimate of its linearity which imposes limitations on the number of bits in the ADC.

But as for a TVC both time and voltage vary continuously it does not make sense to define DNL/INL and so on.
Makes no sense. It's well possible to measure time-to-voltage transfer characteristic and determine DNL/INL. As already stated, because the curve is monotic by design, you can focus on INL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back