Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-idealities of the following devices affect/contribute to the total error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmonday

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone I Just want to ask this elementary question.

How do the non-idealities of the following devices affect/contribute to the total error?

1. Switches
  2. Op-Amp
  3. Comparators
  4. Resistors
  5. Capacitors

* Switches or relays can become sticky and scratchy over the years, that is, unreliable as to being fully On or fully Off.

* Op amps come with a recommendation that input voltage should not extend beyond range inside of supply rails.

* Op amps have a certain amount of output impedance which means your load should not draw too much current or else it causes drop in output amplitude.

* Op amps have a certain gain-bandwidth product which means reduced gain at higher frequencies.

* Resistors have a watt rating. If you exceed it its ohm value may be affected permanently.

* Capacitors don't have a particular watt rating but it can heat up if you force it to carry too much power. Its characteristics may be changed permanently.

The simple answer is "any way you let them" and
the challenge for the designer is "what are you
going to do about it?".

Putting a finer point on any of it needs the circuit
context to say what matters, or whether.

Hi,

There is phase nonlinearity, gain nonlinearity, frequency nonlinearity... maybe more.
There is erroneous nonlinearity, and there is "designed in" nonlinearity.

So the question is not clear for me.
An example:
What "nonlinearity of a comparator" are you thinking of when you asked the question?

Klaus

The question can't be answered without referring to an application circuit and an error criterion. You might be e.g. asking about the voltage error of a DC measurement circuit. Or an AC quantity like magnitude, phase, frequency response. Or distortion.

For a given circuit and error spec, error propagation for each component parameter can be calculated.

* Op amps

Hi,

There is phase nonlinearity, gain nonlinearity, frequency nonlinearity... maybe more.
There is erroneous nonlinearity, and there is "designed in" nonlinearity.

So the question is not clear for me.
An example:
What "nonlinearity of a comparator" are you thinking of when you asked the question?

Klaus
Sorry for the unclear question I have posted, my point was that the contributions of the Non linear Characteristics to errors of operation of the following devices.

To get useful answers, you want to refer to an application.

We can e.g. analyze INL of a dual slope ADC. "Switches" would refer to analog switches, not clear from the original post. All devices will contribute to non-linearity, resistors probably least.

Hello Everyone I Just want to ask this elementary question.

How do the non-idealities of the following devices affect/contribute to the total error?

1. Switches
  2. Op-Amp
  3. Comparators
  4. Resistors
  5. Capacitors
The question is ill-defined in the following respect:

The meaning or measurement of total error is not clear.

For example, a switch when on may offer non-zero resistance which may or may not be an error depending on what is being measured.
A switch when off may have a voltage rating (breakdown) that may not be seen in the measurement of the error.

Please state what kind of error is being measured and the setup being used for the measurement. The actual answer depends on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.