Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non 50-Ohm Antenna design

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSIC

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to match an antenna to Zl = 360 - j2600Ohms at 2.4GHz. In that case matching a typical 50Ohms antenna to Zl is extremely hard because of the large negative reactance (Ceq = 25fF at 2.4GHz).

I'm considering designing a non 50-Ohm to ease the matching but not so familiar with antenna design. I've tried some structures (circular loop; patch)but non of them can provide a high negative reactance.

Have anyone tried this kind of antenna design? I would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Thanks!

have you heard of a thing called Fano's limit. this tells you the theoretical maximum bandwidth you can get for a passive matching network. i bet the calculated bandwidth is going to be small, so your final antenna will be easily mistuned.
--- Updated ---

is there some way to modify the antenna driving structure so it is more tightly coupled to the outside world?
is this a receive or transmit antenna?

have you heard of a thing called Fano's limit. this tells you the theoretical maximum bandwidth you can get for a passive matching network. i bet the calculated bandwidth is going to be small, so your final antenna will be easily mistuned.
--- Updated ---

is there some way to modify the antenna driving structure so it is more tightly coupled to the outside world?
is this a receive or transmit antenna?
I've heard of Fano Limit, but it seems to me this Zl doesn't have a extremely high Q. I just want to cover 2.4G ISM band.
This antenna is supposed to be driven by a switching mode PA. I suppose we can bondwire the chip on PCB very close to the MN(if needed) and antenna and properly account for the impedance finally in ADS momentum. The major problem I have is how to design a antenna with high negative reactance.

Perhaps an impedance-transform rather than a
mismatched-to-space antenna? That's a common
thing in Class E PAs I gather from listening to other
peoples' design chatter.

I'd bet there's a wealth of info on "high band" cell
phone and WLAN Class E PAs, how they build and
tune them. Looked tricky is all I can say. So find the
tricks?

Perhaps an impedance-transform rather than a
mismatched-to-space antenna? That's a common
thing in Class E PAs I gather from listening to other
peoples' design chatter.

I'd bet there's a wealth of info on "high band" cell
phone and WLAN Class E PAs, how they build and
tune them. Looked tricky is all I can say. So find the
tricks?
Thanks for your thoughts. I've found some papers about codesign of PA and antenna, but they're high output power (~20dBm), which requires a small load impedance.
I'm trying to design a ultra low power PA, which is the opposite requiring a high impedance..

Either if you match the reactive PA impedance with an antenna of conjugate impedance or by a lumped or distributed matching network, you get high Q and small matching bandwidth according to Fano rule. Presuming you are working in a real environment, e.g. wearable transmitter, it will hardly work without adaptive tuning network.

Either if you match the reactive PA impedance with an antenna of conjugate impedance or by a lumped or distributed matching network, you get high Q and small matching bandwidth according to Fano rule. Presuming you are working in a real environment, e.g. wearable transmitter, it will hardly work without adaptive tuning network.
For the switching mode PA, I don't think conjugate match is a must, the required load impedance is determined by the output power and Vdd. This system is working in 2.4G ISM band, I don't know if this network Q is already too high. Thanks for your reply!

For the switching mode PA, I don't think conjugate match is a must, the required load impedance is determined by the output power and Vdd.
How do you determine the reactive impedance told in post #1 then? Do you say the specification is erroneous?

Forget about reactive parts of the Impedance, match simply real-to-real by \[ \frac{\lambda}{4} \] Transmission Line.

50 Ohms is convenient in a typical coaxial transmission line based system. If I was not using "typical" coax I would not be constrained to a match to 50 Ohms and could consider other antenna input impedances. Your question does not provide enough of a picture to give a really helpful response.

For the switching mode PA, I don't think conjugate match is a must, the required load impedance is determined by the output power and Vdd.
Conjugate matching is never a must, even with linear amplifiers. With switchmode amplifiers, output impedance is ill-defined though.
How do you determine the reactive impedance told in post #1 then? Do you say the specification is erroneous?
Yeah this is the real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back