Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Nokia 3310 lcd - data problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

banyas

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I was able to make a nokia3310 LCD works using mikroc and pic16f877. I use the codes and schematic found in this forum.

But as my program becomes bigger, the LCD display becomes erratic.
My simulation using proteus is working ok but when i put it in actual circuit, LCD will not display.
Sometimes the LCD display characters on various parts of the screen as i increase the voltage of my variable power supply. But the supply to the circuit is fix at 5Vdc using LM7805.

When the program is small it displays ok. Attach is the oscilloscope response using small program and big program. Anyone here who have encountered this type of problem?

big programs.jpg

small programs.jpg

1. Does Oscillator speed causes this? I use 20Mhz crystal, I also use 8Mhz, 4Mhz - same problem.
2. Microcontroller not capable? i use only 50% of RAM and ROM.
3. Does LCD needs filtering? I put up to 1000uF across the 5v supply.
4. There are settings in the LCD initialization that I miss?

I also observe in the oscilloscope that when i supply power to the circuit, it respond normally but after 1 sec the abnormal oscilloscope response will takes place. Hope someone here can help.
Looking forward for your response. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you get "IRP_bit must be set manuallt to access..." warning in messages window of the Compiler ? If yes, better switch to PIC18F.

Reactions: banyas

banyas

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Do you get "IRP_bit must be set manuallt to access..." warning in messages window of the Compiler ? If yes, better switch to PIC18F.

Thank you very much milan.rajik for your response. I'm now ordering PIC18F.
I will be porting the program to PIC18F.

I read this, but what's the problem? Is the MCU working too slowly that the LCD can't decode the data correctly?

Another question I came to make: I have a few old mobile phones with color LCD display, manufacturers are sony ericsson, motorola, LG and nokia. I've been searching about how to control those models displays but didn't found anything.

Could another display (not Nokia 6100, 3310, etc) be controlled by a MCU? I want to learn how to control them and find a useful application.

Thank you in advance

I have a few old mobile phones with color LCD display, manufacturers are sony ericsson, motorola, LG and nokia. I've been searching about how to control those models displays but didn't found anything.

If they work using SPI and if you have the datasheet of the driver chip then code can be implemented.

Could another display (not Nokia 6100, 3310, etc) be controlled by a MCU?
Yes.

hello,

Are you sure , power supply for LCD is 5V ? not 3,3V !

- - - Updated - - -

hello,

Are you sure , power supply for LCD is 5V ?
I am using a nokia LCD 8x16 cars
with power supply = 3,3V !
and resistor on each command wires to adapt TTL 5V levels.

Where could I find the driver code? how should it look like? Do you know a LCD driver family so I can identify the code I need? I think I will try every code I find till I find a datasheet.

Thank you for your response. I'll tell you how I am getting on with that.

Here is a link that show you how to run the 3310 LCD interfaced to 8051 mcu.

**broken link removed**

The Vdd of 3310 is 3.3V and was dropped from +5V using 2 signal diodes.

I have a brand new 3316 LCD but don't have the time to use it yet. It will be on my next project list. anyway...:wink:

HTH, Allen

From all the phones I selected one to be the test dummy. I didn't know the model until I read it at the back part.

It had no battery buy supplying it with an old 3.7V one I made it work again. I thought it was a monochrome GLCD but I found out that it is a color LCD.

Searching around I found that the nokia 1208 display is the same that nokia 1600 uses, and I found several pages with AVR controlling them. These displays are controlled via SPI but I don't know how the control protocol is yet.

Should I desolder the male connector from the phone PCB? It's the only way I have to connect it in a breadboard and with my MCU.

Is there any other useful part I could scrap from the phone? I found the torch LED, the vibrator and the microphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.