Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise floor measurement setting using spectrum analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wccheng

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spectrum analyzer noise floor

Dear all,

I want to use spectrum analyzer to measure the noise floor of my laboratory. Since there are large vacuum pump beside my lab. I suspect that it will increase noise floor as it is operating. Therefore, I want to use spectrum analyzer to measure it. I am interested in 3-5GHz band. So, what is the spectrum analyzer setting in order to get a correct noise floor measurement? Why is this setting? Actually, I have tried to set RBW=1Hz only. The measured noise flooris =-130dBm. However, I set the RBW=1MHz. It shows the noise floor =-80dBm. Why? Which one I should trust?

Thanks

wccheng

noise floor on a spectrum analyzer

Spectrum analyzers are notorious for poor noise figures. You should put a low noise high gain amplifier between your antenna and analyzer. Then subtract the amplifier gain from the measurements.

I would suspect that any noise from motors and relays would not be large at the frequency you specify. They would have other problems of putting transients on the mains which would affect other equipment.

noise floor measurement

Do you have any reference notes for me?
I want to take a look of the setup. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back