Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[No title]

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobler

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Laser Soldering: minimum hole applicable and depth? :arrow:

Hi guys,

I need to ensure that the press fit pins are very stable by applying solder to it and the best method I can think of is laser soldering after SMT + Press-fitting the connector. Unfortunately the hole diameter is 0.3mm and depth of pins could be around 1mm at 2.34mm PCB thickness. Does anyone know if laser soldering can be done with such small drill hole? Considering that the solder can only be applied at the exit points of the press fit connectors (or pre apply the solder paste at the top connector side). Thanks for your reply and thoughts on this.

Regards,
Noobler :cool:

Re: Laser Soldering: minimum hole applicable and depth? :arrow:

Could you give us more details about the particular connector you intend to use?

In my opinion, soldering of press-fit connectors defeats their purpose. They are meant for solder-less application and provide much more reliable connection points than those of typical solder-down connectors.
There is a good read about press-fit connectors here:
https://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/documents/automotive/global/whitepaper-pressfit-072014.pdf

There is a good way to answer this, contact the people who make your PCB.
They will be best able to advise you what can and cannot be done, or perhaps who can do it if they cannot.

I agree with mpfisher that the basic premise of the thread is wrong. Soldering can be appropriate after removal and reassembly of a press-fit component. Press-fit is considered as a kind of cold welding giving reliable interconnect, correct drill diameter presumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back