Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NI USB-6009 - sampling rate for 8 channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to use 8 channels of NI USB-6009 to sample the incoming data at 48 kS/s for each channel at resolution of 12 bits. The sampled data from all channels I need to send to the computer using a string with date and time stamp. I am wondering if Windows 10 could handle the data through USB. Would there be any problem to save the data in text or spreadsheet ?

There are a number of options for this, such as Python, Java, etc ... so the question as posed is somewhat open, as the soution depends on your skill in one or another programming language. Anywway, you should be aware that a receiving buffer should be considered in order to store the incoming data in the meantime previous ones are being appended to the file.

Last edited:

I am good with Labview. Actually I have used NI USB-6008 last year for two analog inputs. I used a Labview program to save the data in text file. The sampling rate I used was 10 kS/s which is the maximum sampling rate supported by NI USB-6008.

Now I have requirement of 8 analog inputs and the sampling rate requirement is 48 kS/s which is not very strict. I guess NI USB-6009 can be used for this task. At the moment I don't have NI USB-6009 and I need to buy. Is it possible to use 8 channels simultaneously at 48 kS/s in NI USB-6009 ?

How about the Labview program ? Can it be be used to capture 8 analog channels with date and time stamp where each channel sample at 48 kS/s ?

Each sample data can be represented by 5 characters including space character and date and time stand may take 12 character.

I am concerned about the the data packet size which would be 48 x 1000 x (8 x 5 + 12) per second. Can it be supported by USB ?

A quick math show that it is quite below USB 2.0 specs, even considering the typical overhead on this bus, so there should have no issue on this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.