Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] NGspice Transmission Line Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fobos3

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to simulate a transmission line in NGspice but it doesn't seem to give me the expected results. I have a 2.3GHz ideal source with a 50 ohm internal resistance connected to one end of the transmission line. At the other end I terminate the transmission line at a 50 ohm load. The characteristic impedance is 50 ohm.

The simulation results give me a match at half wavelength, however, as I start decreasing the wavelength the voltage across the load starts decreasing and when I reach quarter wavelength it gives me Vout=0.

Any ideas? Here is my source code:
Code:
*.MODEL ymod txl R=0 G=0 L=341.8n C=136.7p length=15.9m
*Y1 Vin 0 Vout 0 ymod
T1 Vin 0 Vout 0 Z0=50 F=2.3G NL=0.1
Rout Vout 0 50

Rsource Vout Vsource 50
V1 Vsource 0 AC 1 sin(0 1 2.3G)
.control
	tran 1000f 10n
	plot Vout
.endc

Last edited:

Vout is a complex vector.

plot Vout
is
plot real(Vout)

Maybe you want to look at
plot mag(Vout)

Holger

Vout is not a complex vector because it is tran analysis. Indeed, when I do plot real(Vout) or mag(Vout) it gives me the same results. Anyway, the weired thing is I get a decaying sine wave at Vout.

I think you should have both 50 ohm source and load impedance.

I have 50 ohm source, load and characteristic impedance.

I have 50 ohm source, load and characteristic impedance.
No, you don't. I guess you meaned to write. Now you have a mismatched and unterminated transmission line.
Code:
Rsource [COLOR="#FF0000"]Vin[/COLOR] Vsource 50

Reactions: fobos3

fobos3

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I feel stupid now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back