Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie: Tektronix 2215A ...how to choose a probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, have just purchased a Tektronix 2215A from ebay ...and need to buy 2 probes to make sure its functioning properly when it arrives....& I'l be using the scope for learning and tinkering with small micro-controller projects and other pcb stuff..so any advice or conformations would be appreciated as I have to buy something today/tomorrow

I have made a small table with scope specs ...and 4 different probes ..would I be right in thinking the Top Quality 100MHz Oscilloscope Scope Probe is better than the rest..in every area?

PROBES.jpg

here are my assumptions of preferable probe characteristics:

bandwidth :: higher than scope
input resistance :: lower than scope
input capacitance :: lower than scope
compensation range :: must include the scope's cap value ..& wider range is better than narrow
rise time :: lower than or equal to scope
working voltage :: higher than scope...or at least higher than voltage levels I expect to be working with

Attachments

• PROBES.jpg
    PROBES.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Hi, not sure how helpful it will be, but here's a link to a 1 MB pdf file from Tektronix ........

**broken link removed**

Probe Fundamentals

Describes the types of probes.
Reviews strengths and weaknesses of different probes.
Explains how to select the right probe for your application.

Hope it helps, Bob

Reactions: tuk

tuk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
that's very helpful Bob ..thanks, I'm halfway through reading it; very well explained

one thing I don't understand, at your link there is a little web program( LINK ) you can enter your scope model and probing requirements

I choose:
voltage
passive
5 to 50mhz
0-500v(..as it doesn't allow 0-30v)

and it comes back with 2 probes ...the p6101B has an iC of 100pF ..while the scope has an iC of 20pF ..which doesn't really make sense from what I'v read ...why would you want the probe iC 5 times higher than the scope

Good question. I would suggest e-mailing them and asking. I have had excellent responses from them in the past. Quick response time too.

Cheers for now, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.