Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new workstation advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

biff44

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am eyeing the new I7 2600K processor, and thinking about buying a new worksation for instensive computing. The new I7 is much cheaper than a Xeon would be. But after some fairly extensive searching on the web, I have seen a lot of discussions about the tradeoffs. Was wondering what you guys were thinking on the topic.

I will be doing Sonnet or HFSS simulations, microwave analysis (agilent genesys) as well as microwave PCB layouts (altium designer) and 3d machine drawings (Solidworks).

I was looking at some really impressive gaming computers, like from Ibuypower, that have SSDs in Raid 0 for operating system/program/swap files, 16 GB ddr3-1600 ram, and top line graphics cards (gtx580 etc.) for maybe $3500 usd.

But elsewhere I see some comments that the I7 and those type of graphics cards are not really optimized for true number crunching workstation operations. They say things like you need a WS certified motherboard and a workstation oriented graphics card like a Quadro FX4800 or better.

Not being a computer geek....any advice out there? Anyone do a recent system build for a smoking new workstation that does not break your bank account?

Are those generalized benchmarks, or something specific to a program like HFSS?

Interesting how the I7's outperform most xeons.

I am learning as I go. Apparently a good workstation build will have a "worstation" type graphics card in it, like a Quadro 2000 or Quadro 4000, and those ARE compatible with either I7 990 or I7 2600K. Its a bit of a rip off, because there are gamer cards at 1/2 the price out there that are actually more powerful, but the drivers are optimized for gaming instead of engineering (i.e single precision vs double precision, etc)

ALso, for a mix of engineering programs (electronic and 3d Drafting) you need both a good graphics card AND high processor speed. Some programs benefit from more cores, but some do not--it all depends on the specific program.

So far I am looking at an I7-2600K overclocked at least 20%, water cooling, and a quadro 4000, with a whopping big power supply, and possibly water cooling to the graphics card too (which run at 70+ deg C typically with air cooling).

The one thing I am torn between is going for that build today, or waiting for the new I7 "enthusiast" chips coming out in 5 more months. I7-2600K limit of 16 gb of ram is a serious limitation, and the boards will not be upgradeable to the new chip style. Quad channel memory...mmmmmm!

One thing I have heard mixed reports on is using a SSD for the OS and the engineering programs. Some say it will speed things up, others say the drive will simply fail quickly due to too many write/read cycles.

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

BTW, as far as a supercomputer motherboard, I fear I would not be able to figure it out!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back