Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Ubicom (Scenix) IP3000™ family

Status
Not open for further replies.

dainis

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ubicom scenix

h**p://w*w.ubicom.com/products/ip3000/ip3000_processors.html
h**p://w*w.ubicom.com/pdfs/products/ip3000/processor/IP3K-DTB-3023-101.pdf

The IP3023 has been designed from the ground up for the unique requirements of wireless networking and packet processing. Unique techniques such as eight-way multithreading, zero-cycle context switching and a memory-to-memory architecture deliver the necessary performance, reduced cost and size required by wireless applications.

Eight-way multithreading allows the device to effectively operate as eight separate processors, where each thread can be assigned a variable speed from 0 - 250 MHz in 3.9 MHz increments. As many as six threads can be dedicated to software I/O. In addition, because packet processing doesn't require ongoing access to data by the CPU, on-chip caching isn't necessary. The use of a memory-to-memory architecture allows packets to be processed directly in on-chip memory, eliminating the need for caches, and avoiding cache misses which reduce performance. Memory-to-memory also eliminates the costly silicon needed for caches and off-chip memory.

These capabilities allow the IP3023 to deliver wire-speed performance in one-fourth the silicon area and requires only 10 percent of the off-chip memory employed by traditional architectures. This leads to a lower overall bill of materials (BOM) for designs based on the IP3023.

ubicom ip3000 series

Hi Dainis,

I'm expected to feel your fingers burned by this new Multithreaded Architecture for Software I/O (MASI). Sounds great.
I know that before using IP2022 your opinions look very sceptical about "software" based Ethernet controller (Serializer and Deserializer unit). This software I/O approach looks even greater.
Hope Ubicom politics will change a little bit, at least revealing more about MASI in the near future. Even under NDA cover.

Regards,
Silvio

Status
Not open for further replies.