Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to microcontrallers... I need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsgohio

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to learn how to use / program / develop micro-controller applications. The only programming language I have used is visual basic. Can someone point me in the right direction of where to start. My first application is to take input from a rotary encoder (shaft position) and display RPM / rotary position / set digital outputs according to rotary position - also eventually take input of temperature and pressure transducers and display them.

What would be a good micro-controller to use - is there a developers kit for said controller? What programming language do I need to learn? What is a good book to buy?

Thanks, dsgohio...

look firstly the good book for begineers is microcontroller and embeddeed system by mazidi. you will find everything in it all basics you need will be covered up by that. then the language is embedded c, its quite easy as it is user friendly. its as same as c language, you can make your program in keil software then after compiling you will get the hex file through the development kit you can burn your hex file to your controller. now come to the microcontroller for beginner it should be very good to use 8051 microcontroller family. now its upto you to choose any of the controller from 8051 family like at89c51/c52. ats51/s52 and many other.

What would be a good micro-controller to use - is there a developers kit for said controller?

There are a multitude of acceptable controllers for your project.

AVR
8051 variant
PIC
MSP430

To list a few more common platforms. Which one you choose should largely depend on availability within your locale, budget and support required.

Out the four the PIC, AVR and 8051 are the most popular and discussed often with this forum.

The MSP430 is a very nice device and a relative newcomer to the scene.

**broken link removed**

Microchip also offers a large discount of students:

**broken link removed**

Atmel - AVR and 8051

Silabs - 8051 Great Devices and Development Kits

What programming language do I need to learn?

All four have broad support for either code development in C and Assembly languages, with a few BASIC compilers available.

I would suggest learning both C and Assembly language for which ever device family you chose, with embedded development both will come in handy.

What is a good book to buy?

PICs offer the best support when it comes to books on the subject:

PIC16: Beginner's Guide To Embedded C Programming: Using The Pic Microcontroller And The Hitech Picc-Lite C Compiler

PIC16: Beginner's Guide to Embedded C Programming - Volume 2: Timers, Interrupts, Communication, Displays and More

For PIC16 and PIC18: Designing Embedded Systems with PIC Microcontrollers, Second Edition: Principles and Applications

For PIC24: Programming 16-Bit PIC Microcontrollers in C, Second Edition: Learning to Fly the PIC 24

For PIC32: Programming 32-bit Microcontrollers in C: Exploring the PIC32

There are numerous other texts which cover the PIC family of microcontrollers, search Amazon for other choices.

There are also a series excellent online free PIC tutorials which cover both the Baseline and Midrange PICs using both Assembly and C Language:

**broken link removed**

Texts covering AVR:

Embedded C Programming and the Atmel AVR

AVR: An Introductory Course

AVR Microcontroller and Embedded Systems: Using Assembly and C

Also the following is a very good online resource for AVR development:

AVR Freaks

Texts covering 8051:

8051 Microcontroller and Embedded Systems

C and the 8051

The 8051/8052 Microcontroller: Architecture, Assembly Language, and Hardware Interfacing

The 8051 Microcontroller

Microcontroller Projects in C for the 8051

Good online resource for 8051 development:

8051 Forum

**broken link removed**

Text for MSP430:

MSP430 Microcontroller Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.