Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to FPGA's, couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbs87

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I'm interested in learning how to program FPGA's and have a couple of questions:

)What is a good book for self study. I have a book by Samir Palnitkar? It seems to be about Verilog but do i need a book with regards to specific implementation on FPGA's?

)Where can I find some decent projects to test out my skills once I've covered the material a fair bit. It would be great if they had some sort of tips to help me along. I forgot to mention I have a Core MP7duo board which I got free from a vendor. Is it any good?

Hello,

1. Choose FPGA - Xilinx or @ltera are my recommendations
2. Read the datasheet
3. Download the software web pack, either ISE or Quartus II
4. Then read a tutorial on the software - Google is your friend :)
5. Write the code - verilog or vhdl - also you can try schematic capture.
6. If you have a development board you can try your code and surely there is code on the net for your development board. If you have a custom board, then you are on your own, but you can try most code out there.

Opencores.org is a good free and open source of code site.

Got some quick tutorial here for xilinx. U must have at least the xilinx webpack. Hope this helps

this one is good --
Design Warrior's Guide to FPGAs, Clive Maxfield

ram

I recommend you to start a design and in parallel read books and datasheet! it will boost your learning.

If conditions allows, you can first do some experiments on fpga evalu board. quickly make sense of how fpga implemention.
BR.
ls000rhb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back