Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New poster and promise not to beg - LED matrix mind scramble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnln

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all..
So I have built a 7x48 LED matrix. I have the Basic Stamp 2 IC controller and have 6 - Max 7219's cascaded each running a 7x8 section of LED's. I have run into a wall with the code and cannot get any help in creating the code to pass thru each chip. Believe me I have begged! The sign runs but each 7x8 section runs it's own letters and will not scroll or pass thru onto the next 7219. Ok I'm not here to beg, I may at a later time but not yet :)....

I have received the software for Data Display signs in which our IT guy let me use it to try to make my sign work. DD website has no info and will not help unless you buy a sign. I have spent the last 3 months trying to get this thing going.
Ok hopefully a couple of you are with me, so does anyone have any experience in using this software? Can I use this software to run the max 7219 chip? I have searched everywhere, I mean everywhere and have no luck in finding info. I thought I had read somewhere that the max chip will run on most anything you can throw at it.. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Also the max 7219 has downloadable software to test the chips using the printer port. It gives a diagram to build a connection cable also. I have tried to use it but it just doesn't seem to do anything. Well I forgot to mention I am pretty green on the code thing as it is. I contacted a tech from the Maxim site on the chip and he was no vital help.

So any insight into a positive direction would be greatly appreciated and hopefully I haven't lost any of you with my jibberish writings...

thanks!
jn

Re: New poster and promise not to beg - LED matrix mind scra

>I have spent the last 3 months trying to get this thing going.
Sometimes it helps to go and work on a different project for a while or
try a completly different approach.

You could have writen your own software from scratch in three months.

>I have received the software for Data Display signs
Do you mean PC software? How is your sign connected to the PC?

>Also the max 7219 has downloadable software to test the chips using
>the printer port. It gives a diagram to build a connection cable also.
>I have tried to use it but it just doesn't seem to do anything.

Give a link to the circuit. Describe what you have done to debug it eg
do you see the output lines on the printer port changing state when the software is running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back