Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New low-cost FPGA family...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackal

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Altera's new low-cost fpga family Cyclone! 1.5$ - 1000Le Max:20000Le :))

Seems that you are from Altera's fun club! ;-)

The volume production of these FPGAs will start in 2004 only.
And that is citate from EETimes concern to prices:
"Looking at the pricing model, it's clear too that these devices were not made for piecemeal orders. Prices next year will range from $60 to $7, depending on the number of logic elements, assuming purchases of 50,000-unit quantities or more. When volume ramps in 2004, prices will range from $40 to $4 based on 250,000-unit quantities, according to the company."

Full story is available here:
**broken link removed**

Ace-X.

Just a small correction: production will start in Q2 of 2003. Samples will be available as soon as January 2002 depending on the devices.

I got an informal quotation for the 5800 logic element device for 24$ USD in the 1000 quantity for Q3. Could go as low as 14$ in 2004. It is more
4$ per 1000 LE than 1.50$!

However, I was told that the serial EEPROM price will be 1$ more than the announced price (ie 2$ to 5$) for the same quantity. It is a bit encouraging.

They are trying to get back some market lost to Xilinx. It is said they will match any price Xilinx will make, because they have margins...

Hi All!

https://www.altera.com/products/devices/cyclone/cyc-index.jsp
//--
With up to four times the density than previous low-cost device families and volume prices at less than $1.50 per 1,000 LEs, Cyclone devices set a new pricing standard for programmable logic.
//--
This is from Altera's website.
//--
At this moment i know (from our Altera's distributor) that correct prices on Cyclone devices are will be avaible at Q4 2002.
Prelimenary prices are avaible on Altera's chart
https://www.altera.com/products/devices/cyclone/images/cyc-index_fig1.gif

see the link below

http://www.x!l!nx.com/prs_rls/silicon_spart/02140spartan_40mil.htm

$2.55 for 5,000 system gates, $17.95 for the 300,000 system gates in volumes greater than 250,000 units.

Regards,
Ejean

Hi !

As I know Xilinx will offer a new low cost FPGA in the 1Q or 2Q 2003 replacing Spartan family. New FPGA will be based on Virtex2 technology.

The price is unknown.

Bart

Hi,

how do you know it ? from www.xilinx.com ? where can i find this news?

Bartart said:
Hi !

As I know Xilinx will offer a new low cost FPGA in the 1Q or 2Q 2003 replacing Spartan family. New FPGA will be based on Virtex2 technology.

The price is unknown.

Bart

Hello!

Every 6 months the "me*ec in*ight" has a FPGA demonstration in my region and in March the guy said that the Xilinx is working on a new low cost family.

The only question that he didn't answer me was "What about SpartanXL".

Bart

SpartanXL is dead. That's why it isn't supported in ISE 5.1

ejean said:
see the link below

http://www.x!l!nx.com/prs_rls/silicon_spart/02140spartan_40mil.htm

$2.55 for 5,000 system gates, $17.95 for the 300,000 system gates in volumes greater than 250,000 units.

Regards,
Ejean

Your are not comparing apples with apples!

I don't want to look like a pro-Altera (because I use both Altera & Xilinx depending on the application), but it is clear that Altera just take the pole position in terms of cost/logic ratio until Xilinx comes out with its new family. Good for them. Good for us.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back