Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Learner for Power Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amin01

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have done my MS in Power Electronics, but I am very weak when it comes to hands-on experience. I am looking forward for guidance to get started implementing real Power Electronics on hardware and software. Initially, I am interested in learning and step-by-step guidance and procedure that could help me gain practical hands-on experience in designing switch-mode power supplies. Looking forward for experts advices.

A buck converter is easier to construct than a boost or buck-boost. You can make one from an op amp or comparator or logic gate. The aim is to cause abrupt turn-On-and-Off at the coil, in response to small changes in voltage.

The inductor doesn't need to have any particular parameters, so you can start with almost any type in your junk box if you're okay with low voltage and low current.

Last edited:

Hi,

Start with simple, not too much power, things.
Decide your requirements, the more detailed the best.
Look for similar applications, how they did it.
Find out, how you want to do it.
Then read according datasheets and application notes.

Klaus

After you have set your requirements and have selected your controller IC like recommended, build only the power stage and test it with a signal generator and oscilloscope.

Although the buck topology is easier to design than the boost counterpart, I would suggest you start with the boost topology so you wouldn't have to bother about driving a high-side MOSFET during the power stage testing at this time. Usually the push-pull driver circuit would be sufficient for your boost converter power stage testing. Connect node Vin to your signal generator. The node connected to RL would be connected to the gate terminal of your MOSFET instead. With the signal generator, you can vary the duty cycle and see the effect for yourself. Because the inductor is a component with a lot of intricacies especially for a starter, I'd recommend you start with a low duty cycle and increase it slowly watching out for saturation. Usually, you would be able to measure the inductor current by connecting a low value resistor in the path of the inductor current.
edd4f0727cead7749b9722de7676692c.jpg

When you are satisfied with your power stage, then you replace the signal generator and driver with your the control IC and proceed to designing your feedback loop.

During your academic program, did you do simulations of some topologies?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.