Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Network Analyzer shows positive S11 on passive PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

owkmann

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A freshly calibrated HP8753ES Network Analyzer measured a positive S11 on a passive PCB. The blank PCB will be used for an amplifier, and is composed of input and output matching networks. The only mounted components on the board are 0402 capacitors and SMA connectors. What am I missing?

Can you show the polar display of S11 (Smith diagram)?

Thank you SunnySkyguy. I calibrated the VNA to the end of the test cables, and I have SMA connectors soldered directly to the PCB. Do I need to include the SMA connectors in the calibration? If so, how?

S11 Outside Smith Chart.png

Are you seeing positive |S11| using the factory calibration, or user calibration (with passive networks attached)? If the former, then something is either wrong with the instrument or the factory calibration.

I used the Agilent 85033C Cal Kit. When I finished the Cal procedure, I re-checked the short, open and load terminations on the VNA's Smith Chart, and they were correct.

So I am puzzled by the positive S11 response.

I used the Agilent 85033C Cal Kit. When I finished the Cal procedure, I re-checked the short, open and load terminations on the VNA's Smith Chart, and they were correct.

So I am puzzled by the positive S11 response.

Sure it matches because you used them for calibration, but I think it's not a broken standard, otherwise s22 would be strange too. Try to change cable and connectors of port 1.

Thank you all for your help. I tried a different Cal Set and results were substantially closer to predicted (simulated) results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back