Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative index of refraction - confirming using HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcx5ps2

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm involved in a project aiming to simulate, and later hopefully build, a negative lens for operation at 100GHz....a major stumbling block is extracting µ and ε from our HFSS simulations.

There are a lot of very vague articles that claim to have achieved 'doubly negative' parameters, which don't actually explain how they confirmed this.

Does anyone know of a (reasonably) simple way of extracting µ and ε? Or if all else fails and this is not possbile, could we prove the material is exhibiting a negative n value without actually going into detail about the parameters?

Any hints would be much appreciated!

I think you can simulate your material and see its behavior with an electromagetic wave, to show the inversion of Snell's law, this can do and viewable by Hfss.

I once simulated a periodic SSR structure and could see (animated E-field) a wavefront travelling backwards. It was only a wavelength long and wide and close to the SRR, but it looked very interesting!

I was looking for a way to find out n, but you have to extract magnitude and phase from the Matrix data. Since my primary work ist not about MM, I did not work on it any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back