Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need your opinion on CPLD/FPGA vs. uP

Status
Not open for further replies.

david119

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about including an LCD into my next project and would like your opinions. I have two general questions.

1) Can you use a CPLD/FPGA device to drive an LCD display? It seems that most choose to use uP's. What are the advantages over the other?

2) My second question is should I choose a character or graphic LCD? I don't have any experience with either. I imagine that a graphic LCD is going to be a little more difficult to work with, but the added custom look will look cooler.

Any opinions, tutorials, web links, ect. would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

david119

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What is project?? for example you can use Epson controller to drive LCD display also.developing FPGA will take time and effort, using external chip might be easy..

Good luck

Thanks for the info so far guys!

My project is going to record some timed events. So basically it is going to display numerals (in a time format) with characters to label each event.

Iouri,
How would an Epson controller work or any for that matter?

david119

I have worked on both up and fpga ... but i feel for that like small task it is better to go for up instead of fpga ... but if u have better experience on fpga then obviously u would be clear that it is easier on fpga ...

Status
Not open for further replies.