Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need your help with 75LS163 counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anunnaki

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need your help with 74LS163 counter

Hi

My task is to create a counter which counts from 0 to 15 using two 74LS163 and a 74LS00. Decade counting should be used. The first 74LS163 should count ones and the other one tens. And the value should be shown using 8 LEDs.

I have tried doing this coupling tens of different ways but I can't get it working. I have to make this right tomorrow or I will get an F. I can't ask my teacher because he isn't available. So, you are my only hope.

Please, help me. :)

Last edited:

Re: Need your help with 74LS163 counter

Hi

My task is to create a counter which counts from 0 to 15 using two 74LS163 and a 74LS00. Decade counting should be used. The first 74LS163 should count ones and the other one tens. And the value should be shown using 8 LEDs.

I have tried doing this coupling tens of different ways but I can't get it working. I have to make this right tomorrow or I will get an F. I can't ask my teacher because he isn't available. So, you are my only hope.

Please, help me. :)

Here is a schematic for your problem,
with my best regards
Counter_Decimal.png

'LS163 are up counters with a preset in and Carry Out (CO=1 for out=1111)

Inverting the outputs makes them down counters.
Another way to implement is to make use of these.

To convert the hex counters to decimal you have to preload 6 and count up to 15 then preload again.

when output is 15 or 1111 (CO=1) then preload and recycle

But you don't have to invert the outputs. Just invert the logic of the LED's so Output low = ON to mean 1 thus tie all the Anodes to +5 and drive each LED low with a 330R resistor to each of the 5 Q outputs for 10mA, which the LS TTL can drive in the low state easily.

So all you have are 8 jumpers for preset input = $E6h or 1110 0110 to count 16 times or from 15 to 0 0 and recycle.

Only one NAND gate input from both RCO out signals going to _Load=0 on both chips.
En T and P are both enabled high.

So you have 2 counters and 1 NAND solution with 8 or 5 LEDs to showing the 16 stage count but using Binary Coded Decimal (BCD) mode display. ( but top 3 LED's wont change in a 0 to 15 count.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back